You should follow some important steps while writing a blog intended for a school project. I have read many principals and superintendent’s blogs that were created to reach out to the parents. It appears that they were nothing more than a business letter.
A good blog is something different from the most common form of business writing. When you are about to write an education blog, there are some interesting topics surrounding your school and education. These articles should be to the point, clear, and worth sharing. If you are wondering, “How do I make a blog for a school project?” continue reading this article to find out more.
How do you write a school blog post?
As aforementioned, your school blog post must be clear and highlight the most important things, so that it can be shareable. Remember that your blog will be a part of your communications team at school. It acts as a guide to feed your school blog post.
The primary purpose of your blog posts is more than informative, and the articles should be readable. Here are some steps that can make your school blog posts easy to find, value for reading, and engaging.
1. Focus on pre-writing
Keep in mind that a good blog begins with pre-writing. Try to be as specific as you can get, and don’t be so comprehensive. The topic shouldn’t be drifted away from the subject at hand.
2. Make rough outlines
A rough outline makes it easy to list out the key points that should be included in the post. Always remember the sole purpose of your writing, and make that clear.
3. Work on a suitable headline/title
If your headline isn’t catchy, you won’t go too far with your blog. A good headline serves as the gist of your blog post, don’t forget that.
4. Attract the readers – It’s important to get along with your reader faster. A teaser may draw the attention of your reader. It can be a statistic, quote, or an anecdote.
5. Supporting the main idea – Supporting your point is the sole purpose of your blog. You can use testimonies, statistics, stories, etc. in your paragraphs. You can even add external links. It will add credibility to your blog post.
6. Add a compelling summary – A summary marks the end of your blog. It restates the objective of your article. Reinforce the supporting points you have made.
7. Use a clincher – Use a quote that highlights your point, or pose a question. Make the reader feel important by inviting them to comment.
Common blogging in schools platforms
It is crucial for the students to learn the different ways of writing clearly, expressing themselves, and communicating effectively. When students begin to practice these skillsets by way of a blog, they can become good digital citizens. This way, they can contribute to the online community. These are some of the great places for students to get started.
1. Weebly – This is a fantastic place where a student can create up to 40 accounts free of cost. There is no need for any student email accounts either. You can make your blogs both private and public. Teachers can access them on their dashboards. With the help of the rag and drop’ feature, you can create posts with ease.
2. Kidblog – Although new in the area of student blogosphere, it’s gaining huge popularity. It is based on the WordPress interface. You can find it extremely user-friendly compared to the other blogs. However, the blogs are set to rivate’ by default. Hence, they can only be read by your classmates and teacher.
3. Edublogs – It is one of the popular places where you can start your education blog. It is primarily based on WordPress but, it has been tweaked to provide certain features. These include discussions tools, calendars, video embedding, and so on. If you are about to start a student blog, Edublogs can be worthy of.
How is a blog post different from other types of writing?
It is very important to keep snappy writing that pinpoints a thing using fewer words. Gone are the days where talkative literature ruled the past. Blog posts are not the same thing as article writing or storytelling. Many writers become confused. As such, your work fails to appeal to the core audience that it was meant to be.
It’s crucial to understand the differences. Blogs are usually built with SEO keywords and the writings are done in accordance with that. But it is often seen that SEO isn’t required for writing an article or in storytelling. Less emphasis is put on this thing.
A great amount of articles looks to steer away from personal opinions. That’s because they are based on statistics, information, and reportage. But, when you write blogs, you tend to describe things from your own perspective. This requires less data and reportage.
Storytelling or articles are intended for large publications. Hence, they are put through vigorous editing cycles to ensure that they are free from errors. Whereas, you self-publish the blogs and there isn’t much to edit. Editing and less scrutiny are the key features of blog writing.
One of the noticeable differences between articles and blogs lies in the length and style of the writing. Based on the publication, an article may stand between 1500 and 5000 words. But blogs are smaller in length and vary from 400 to 1000 words.
Storytelling or articles have a journalistic style of writing. Whereas when you write blogs, you make it short so that the words aren’t hard to grasp. In short, you use a very casual tone of writing.
How is blogging different from school paper?
You may have noticed that many students choose to write blog posts per week on different subjects of their choice. From a personal perspective, it appears a good thing for me. While there are students that have adopted blogging to share their insight, there are some others who have opted to put stress on publishing papers.
Also, many professors are being thrilled by such an approach of the students who are writing blogs. They look forward to Friday afternoons when they can read what their students wrote over the week. The blogs appeared to free the students. But, sometimes it may not carry the actual work.
One of the major hurdles in blogging is that it isn’t very useful because students tend to procrastinate about it. That leaves them with the last minute where they produce a sub-par result. As such, the research papers become meaningless in evaluating what they have learned. The students didn’t think about the topic either.
Another aspect lies in the fluid nature of the blog versus the perceived knowledge about the research paper. It should be evaluated not only in terms of its formatting but also in terms of reception and perception. Blogs are incomplete and leave space for refinement, further conversation, and revision. School papers are definitive and final.
However, I am not sure if that’s an important feature of the school papers. But, it appears that many students view from that angle. A school paper participates in a large discussion of a certain topic and serves the purpose of earning a grade.
While choosing to educate using blogs or school papers may be a false opposition. Professor and teachers can make use of both. Blogs can be meticulously researched and well crafted. Well, the debate goes on to find out which is the best one.
How is the writing in a blog is different from academic writing or term papers?
When you write a blog, it mainly serves the purpose of the websites or other types of media. The blogs may promote a business or a website for a large number of audiences. Blogs help websites to rank better on the search results.
Academic writing or term papers involve essays, papers, or reports that primarily focuses on the researched data. The real purpose of academic writing is not to entertain readers or promote anything. It conveys information to a handful of qualified audiences.
When you are blogging, there is no need to validate data. However, you can use references and cite them as well. In that case, you may need a hyperlink to point out the reference. Academic writing, on the other hand, need references. It’s very important to make use of citations for the data you have used.
In blogging, the content doesn’t need to be systematic. Depending on its purpose and topic, a blog may have any type of form or shape. An academic writing or term papers, on the other hand, needs to have a well defines the structure. Or else, it may not be effective to the readers.
Blogs are normally informal in nature. A personal tone gets appreciated. Every website has their brand voice, and the blogs usually reflect them. Academic writing is formal and doesn’t need a personal tone. Every sentence should possess a clear meaning. Personal opinions hold no good in term-papers or academic writing.
Blog posts generally consist of a short sentence. It makes easier for the audience to grab the idea of the content. It is easy to understand. But, short sentences are not good in academic writing. Scholarly works demands for something extra. Complex sentences are used more in this regard.
How do you get people to read your (blog) writing?
That’s probably one of the most important questions that are being asked by many people. Here are some ways through which you can get people to read your writing.
1. Create quality content – People will read your blogs if they know that it has the quality and frequently updated. Remember, consistency and good content is a must. Hence, commit yourself to submit writing at least once a week.
2. Insist people on subscribing – When people subscribe to your newsletter or blog feed, they remember you on a regular basis. Make the process very easy and simple so that people won’t find it hard.
3. Try simple SEO – It doesn’t need to be an SEO expert to reach out to new people. Know some basic principles that can help you to craft the blog headlines. A simple SEO to your content helps you to rank high in the search results.
4. Put a comment on other blog sites – The next time you are on another blog, try to leave some interesting comment on their pages. Some people may find your comment interesting. It will lead them to your writings on your website. Comment to add value to the conversation.
5. Consider guest blogging – It is perhaps one of the best ways to get people to read your writing. When you guest post on another blog, you are introducing yourself to a brand new audience. These people don’t know about you but certainly will check your website. However, they need to like the guest post you have written.
6. Create a community – If you want people to read your writings, you should make yourself available to them. Writing a post and disappearing for some time casts a bad impression. Don’t let the readers talk amongst themselves without your presence in the comments.
How do you structure a blog post?
A good blog is the best way to connect with people and share knowledge. It is a great way to make your visibility as an expert. But before that, you need to know the importance of the structure of your blog post.
1. Make a clear introduction – Only a clear introduction can highlight the purpose of your blog post. An introduction is a place where your audience gets an indication of whether to continue reading the blog or not. Hence, be precise with what you are providing to the readers.
2. Get headings – Most people won’t have time to read your post regardless of how much effort you have put in. It is very important to grab their attention. Headings allow the readers to refer the points at a glance and find out the one they are interested in. Sub-headings can be helpful when they are placed accurately.
3. Make short paragraphs – Shorter paragraphs are easy to read quickly. Blogs aren’t meant to have longer paragraphs. All you need to do is break the long sentences and use the pieces in suitable places across the blog. That way your readers find your writing easy to digest. Longer paragraphs make reading difficult.
4. Use plain English – Blogs aren’t a place to intricate metaphors. The longer and complex your sentence is, the harder it gets to retain the reader’s attention. Always remember to keep your writings simple.
5. Use your voice – This is something many people forget. Most of the things are already written before. But the main thing about your writing is you. It’s all about your experiences, your opinions, and your voice.
6. Make use of images – Using suitable imagery that relates to your blog post makes them attractive to your readers. Images have the capability to grab attention and give people a reason to read your blog.
7. End with a conclusion – A conclusion ties up your points. It is pretty similar to that of a summary you write in the last part of an essay.
What is inverted pyramid writing?
The inverted pyramid writing is another way to structure your article or blog post. It is mostly used in journalism. This structure is a way of loading a story. It helps the reader to have the most valuable information first. Here, the idea is, to begin with, the conclusion and build up how you arrived at the conclusion.
The structure consists of the lead, body, and tail. The ead’ explains the what, how, when, where and who of the story. This is the place where you include important information that keeps the readers busy. The ody’ makes the arguments and build your point.
The ail’ represents the end part of your article. This space is utilized when your readers want to research more about the writing. The inverted pyramid writing plays a great role in news writing, reporting, and blogging. The benefits of this structure are many. Here are some of them.
We live in an era where preference is given to skim reading and short attentions spans. The reader doesn’t get bored by the inverted pyramid structure. The reader gets what they desire straight away.
When the article loads upfront, the most relevant keywords and sentences are placed at the top of the article. This way it benefits your SEO.
The readers have full control to decide whether to read further or not. They don’t have to go through suspense till the end. Sometimes they may leave instead of reading the full article.
How do I make my writing scannable?
When people are looking for a solution to a problem, they move through posts quickly. Scannability is an important thing to create influence and holds attention with your message. Here are some ways to make your writing scannable.
1. Create subheadings and sections – An extensive use of subheadings and sections will help in making your content scannable. It is wise to break up the long paragraphs to three or five sections whenever possible. The reader can scan and find specific information that seems interesting.
2. Keep short sentences – There is no point in writing long sentences and using hard vocabulary that only an academic person understands. You need to understand that your audience consists of readers with varying degrees of education. If they find it hard to read, they won’t stay there.
3. Provide bullet points or lists – Createbullet points or lists whenever you find the need to highlight some of the key points. Here are the benefits.
Breaks the straight-line copyDepict one idea per sectionHighlights data, stats, or key factsPeople can read easily
4. Add visual features – Video content and visual images have become essential requirements for content marketing. Images and visuals help to segregate the copy. Moreover, a compelling infographic or image captures the attention of a scanner more quickly than paragraphs or sentences.
5. Highlight the sentences and keywords with bold – To put more emphasis on the critical words, sentences, or phrases within your writing, apply boldface. In contrast to the normal texts, bold words are set aside as the reader scans. Attention to those highlighted statements captures the reader’s interest for a longer time.
How to use google related searches for blog content/paragraph ideas
“What can I write for my blog content?”, and “How do I find paragraph ideas?” are the two things that may have surrounded you many times. You can’t afford to sit idle and have the inspiration to strike. So, where can you find them? One of the best ways to get through it by Google search.
When you are posting a similar kind of post, you need to get some fresh ideas about the content. Let Google help and inspire you for writing something new. Google has been the only place where you can have amazing ideas about writing something new for your blog posts.
People have been using this search engine to make good use of information on different topics. It is also a great inspirational source for all the bloggers out there in the world. You may enter some words or phrases on the Google search bar and it will show you the related contents.
For instance, type ow to write a good blog’ on the search bar and hit enter. What will you see? Google will crawl through thousands of websites that have something in common with the words you have typed. It displays all the information. All you need to do is pick up the relevant articles you were searching for.
You can even ask questions on the search bar and within moments you will come across many ideas. These will help you to expand your blog content and give you plenty of paragraph ideas.
Remember that it is important to raise issues in your blogs, but don’t impose the beliefs on others. Avoid being negative. Also, never mention anything specific in your blogs that have no relevance to your writing. Inappropriate material shouldn’t be included.